Hi guys, Ashley Hales here. At The Mudroom, we love to let you know you’re not alone. We can sit in The Mudroom together, drop off all of our stuff, and know that we have a tribe who listens, understands, and can help hold all the crazy.
And we’re privileged to do that even virtually, over video.
We had the immense pleasure of interviewing Shannan Martin about her new book, Falling Free: Rescued from the Life I Always Wanted.
Shannan is funny, an amazing storyteller, and pushes on all our comfy spots that want to hide from Jesus and living out of his abundance (instead of our own scarcity). You all should really read her book.
In this interview, you’ll hear:
- Why Shannan shows up wearing a baseball cap,
- What it was like to leave her idyllic farm and move to a “declining neighborhood,”
- How people have reacted to their radical lifestyle change,
- What to do when your spouse isn’t on board and you feel called to live like Shannan,
- Her favorite thing to capture on Instagram,
- What we can do about racism and being good neighbors, AND,
- How Shannan makes a mean batch of salsa!
And because we all can’t get enough salsa, here is Shannan’s winning salsa recipe, just for you Mudroom readers! (See all of Shannan’s pretty pictures here).
1 large can whole, peeled tomatoes and their juice
1 regular-sized can Rotel, drained well
1 lime, juiced
1/2 jalapeno, or to taste
3 cloves of garlic, smashed and halved
1/4 cup onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
1 handful cilantro, rinsed and dried
Pulse in food processor until no large chunks remain.
Chill for at least 2 hours.
Be sure to let us know in the comments what you enjoyed most about the interview. Shannan will be around to answer questions in the comments, too. And, be sure to let us know if you’re loving this new feature and we should try more author interviews!
Latest posts by Ashley Hales (see all)
- Coffee Cups and Emmanuel - December 6, 2017
- Learning to Dwell in a World of Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches - November 6, 2017
- Housekeeping, Family, and the Homes that House Us - October 12, 2017